You are the future of healthcare
Looking ahead to America’s future, health care will continue to be one the most prolific industries in terms of creating new jobs. Current trends – legislative reform, an aging population, unhealthy lifestyle habits, and a proliferation of chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes, heart disease) – have created a perfect storm of opportunity for experienced RNs. A particularly healthy job market exists for nurses with advanced degrees and the credentials to serve as “physician extenders” in hospitals, clinics and private practices.
Online Nurse Practitioner Program from Maryville University
Maryville University's Online Nurse Practitioner Program has been created in response to the increasing demand for talented RNs with the knowledge to lead during changing times. It is our goal to help nurses gain the necessary skills and confidence to work autonomously in managing patient care needs.
Our online degree programs focus on healthcare practice, policy and research, and help to prepare RNs for continually emerging opportunities that require licensure as a nurse practitioner. Maryville University's Nursing Program offers the opportunity to specialize in one of three NP degrees:
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) – Adult-Geriatric Nurse Practitioner (AGNP)
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) – Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Maryville University nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Nursing Education Accredited by the CCNE
The Maryville University Online Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), an autonomous accrediting agency contributing to the improvement of the public’s health.
The Commission ensures the quality and integrity of baccalaureate, graduate and residency programs in nursing, and serves the public interest by assessing and identifying programs that engage in effective educational practices. Maryville’s online MSN Adult-Geriatric Nurse Practitioner and MSN Family Nurse Practitioner degree programs are fully accredited by the CCNE, while the Online DNP
program will be evaluated for accreditation in the fall of 2013.
Maryville University is also accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Benefits of Maryville University’s Online Nurse Practitioner Program
Maryville University recognizes the challenges and demands that today’s nurses face in managing life, work, and educational goals. Our online curriculum was designed to help practicing RNs achieve their personal and professional objectives, without sacrificing on quality or integrity.
Nurses who enroll in the Online Nurse Practitioner Program from Maryville University can expect the opportunity to:
- Become a better practitioner, caregiver and nursing leader.
- Gain immediately actionable knowledge in online classrooms and clinical internships.
- Receive the student-centered support you need to become a successful nurse practitioner.
- Study with a university that embodies the values of caring, collaboration and excellence.
- Learn from faculty who have hands-on clinical experience and understand what it means to be a nurse.
- Benefit from a convenient online curriculum that can be completed in as little as two years.
The Next Step in Your Nursing Career
Research indicates that job satisfaction for nurse practitioners is high, based on factors like environment, life-work balance, and most important, workload. In order to keep that benchmark in place – and further improve workplace satisfaction – hiring organizations will need to attract a greater number of qualified, well-educated NPs to meet growing demand.
The Maryville University Online Nursing Program was created for licensed RNs who possess a BSN and the desire to move ahead in this fast-growing field of opportunity. At least one year of experience is required for entry into our online Family Nurse Practitioner program [link to FNP sub-page] as well as our MSN Adult-Geriatric Nurse Practitioner program. However, you can qualify for our Doctor of Nursing Practice program with a BSN or MSN degree, a record of successful academic achievement, and the appropriate recommendations.
The most important factor for all RNs interested in enrolling with us is the commitment to train for professional growth, while continuing to make a difference in the lives of others.
Growing Industry Need for Nurse Practitioners
There are a number of noteworthy trends that bode well for RNs pursuing a future as a nurse practitioner:
- The most significant trend is the well-publicized shortage of primary care physicians.It is anticipated that by 2025, the nation will be short at least 100,000 family medicine doctors. While many nurse practitioners have already gravitated toward private practice, the need will continue to be great for years to come.
- An increased need for outpatient facility staffing is also creating opportunity, as hospitals seek to discharge patients as soon as possible. More and more people are receiving care in outpatient settings in order to keep healthcare and insurance costs down.
- While the nation as a whole may experience a shortage of 100,000+ physicians by 2025, rural and inner city communities are in much greater danger. It is estimated that access to care in underserved regions will only get worse. Nurse practitioners provide a viable, and vital, solution to this impending crisis.
Recent statistics from The American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) tallies a total of only 155,000 NPs working across the United States. Together, these men and women handle approximately 600 million patient visits per year.
Nurse practitioners take a whole-person approach to patient care, encouraging appropriate medical choices and healthy lifestyle habits. Thus, it’s no surprise that individuals who opt for the high-quality and patient-centered care of an NP tend to have lower costs, fewer emergency room visits, and shorter hospital stays.
Follow the Path That’s Right for You
Choosing an Online Nurse Practitioner Program from Maryville University provides many advantages for practicing RNs who have the dedication and desire to move forward with their careers. We provide the unique opportunity to specialize in one of three degree programs, while extending the convenience of an online learning model created especially for working professionals.
There are few choices as important as the decision to pursue additional education. Only you can weigh your options in relation to your specific goals, your current obligations, and your willingness to commit the time and energy required to earn an advanced degree. We invite you to consider what Maryville University has to offer, and encourage you to contact us with any inquiries you may have. Our goal is to make success easier for you.